The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science, Biological and Environmental Research (BER) in Germantown, Maryland, is recruiting a Physical Scientist, GS-1301-13/14/15.
This position is within BER’s Earth and Environmental Systems Sciences Division. The individual selected for this role will:
- serve as a program manager for a portfolio of experimental and modeling research that includes, for example, climate resilience centers, urban integrated field laboratories, and other projects involving ecological, hydrological, atmospheric, and socioeconomic sciences with a particular interest in addressing the needs of disadvantaged communities.
- serve as a recognized authority to both DOE and the scientific community and provide technical advice to the Director of the Earth and Environmental System Sciences.
All interested candidates must apply through this posting on USA Jobs by Friday, December 22, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern to be considered.
When applying to this position, please ensure that your résumé demonstrates the knowledge, skills, experiences, and responsibilities identified in the position description.
Individuals appointed using a special hire authority will receive a new competitive service appointment. Current DOE employees with career status selected for this position may be required to serve a new one-year probationary period, pursuant to 5 CFR 315.802.
For more information about the position, please contact Earth and Environmental Systems Sciences Division Director Gerald Geernaert.
Additional Application Details
Requirements and Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Subject to satisfactory security and suitability requirements.
- May be required to successfully complete a 1-year probationary period.
- Positions are located agency-wide and may be filled as permanent, term, or temporary with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location.
- Appointments made with this authority may be processed as a new appointment into the Civil Service.
- The vacancies filled through these appointments have varying levels of background investigative requirements, up to a Top Secret - DOE "Q" clearance.
- Positions may be covered by a bargaining unit. Bargaining unit will vary by departmental element, grade, and/or location.
- Positions may be included in the DOE’s Technical Qualifications Program (TQP). Selectees for included positions are required to complete the TQP requirements within 18 months of entering the program or 12 months if previously qualified.
- Positions may require submittal of a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450, Executive Branch Personnel Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of entering the position and annually.
- Positions may be a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing thereafter. Failure to test or a positive result on random drug tests conducted after appointment may result in removal from Federal employment.
- This position does not support 100% remote work. You will be required to report physically to the official reporting worksite as specified by the supervisor, but no less than 2 days per pay period.
This vacancy has a positive education requirement. In order to be rated as qualified, you must provide copies of your college transcripts. Failure to provide copies of your college transcripts may result in a rating of "Ineligible".
If substituting education for specialized experience you must submit proof of your qualifying education. Failure to provide college transcripts may result in a rating of 'Ineligible'.
Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- This public notice is to gather applications for current and future vacancies that may or may not result in a referral or selection.
- Applications will expire 90 days after receipt.
- Applicants are limited to 4 geographic locations.
- There may or may not be promotion potential depending upon the actual position filled.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- Positions may be filled at varying levels of leadership, ie Team Lead, Manager, Supervisor.
- Supervisory positions may require a 1-year probationary period, if not yet completed.
- Hiring incentives may be authorized in accordance with regulation and policy.
- For general information on government-wide Telework polices visit: www.telework.gov
- Status and Non-Status applicants from outside DOE selected under this authority are required to serve a mandatory one (1) year probationary period. A DOE career status employee selected for this position may be required to serve a new one (1) year probationary period, pursuant to 5 CFR 315.802.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
- Position may require you to submit a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450, Executive Branch Personnel Confidential Financial Disclosure Report upon entering the position and annually (5CFR Part 2634, Subpart I USOGE, 6/08). For additional information and to obtain the form, please visit the Office of Government Ethics.
- EEO Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
- Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
- Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
- Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/